Vive Pro 2 - black screen / ghost images / audio buzzing on both wired & wireless.

7 hours ago, dburne said:

I have a powered USB hub too. Not tried that, but I think I've finally sussed this.

Hardware:
Specific USB port on my motherboard helped.
https://forum.vive.com/topic/10068-vive-pro-2-black-screen-ghost-images-audio-buzzing-on-both-wired-wireless/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-42826

Software:
fpsVR overlay which autostarted in each VR session.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/908520/discussions/0/3112530528187388049/

Apps that I use in VR...

zBTUVEr.png

Nope. Black screen again 10 minutes into VR session.

I've got nothing more to test or even think of. I have tested litereally everything. It's weird because for some time I had no black screen.

I THINK it's happening after a cold boot. When PC is off, basestations and link box are all turned off.

I am defeated with all of this testing.

@C.T. These random black screens...

This problem only occurs when the PC or Link Box has been powered off for about 15 minutes, then turn it back on. 10 minutes into the VR session, there is a black screen for 1 second. The display returns as normal and is absolutely fine for many hours after that.

Anyone else reporting black screen with the Intel Z390 motherboards (tested on old and newest BIOS)?

There is another guy on Reddit and myself both with the exact same issue. We have both been testing everything possible.

• Different USB ports
• Powered USB hub
• Reinstalling USB drivers
• SteamVR & Vive Console BETA
• 2 different graphics cards GTX 1080Ti and RTX 3080 Ti with drivers clean install
• Wired connection and HTC Wireless connection. Black screen issues whilst on HTC Wireless, with the link box not even plugged into my PC.
• Clean install of Windows 10 on a spare SSD
• USB power management settings in Device Manager
• All USB devices removed, apart from keyboard/mouse/link box
• Unplugged 2 monitors, so it's just 1 monitor and the Vive Pro 2
• Turned off CPU and GPU overclocks
• GPU Performance mode on/off

Submitted many Vive Console and Steam log reports.

Trying so many things to try and figure this out. Such a strange issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the other guy on Reddit as mentioned in AmazingTechVR's post.  I have literally done everything to try and debug this issue.  Reinstalled windows, different cables, sent in the Vive Pro 2 and received another unit back and the issue persisted.  I also own the Vive, Vive Pro, Oculus Rift, and the Valve Index and none of the other HMDs had this black screen issue.  Like AmazingTechVR mentioned, it happens after every cold boot and the black screen lasts for about a second most times, but unfortunately for me quite often the game doesn't come back and I have to close the game, SteamVR, and Vive Console and restart them to get the game to come back.  After that initial black screen I have no more issues until the link box has sat powered off for over 10 minutes or so.

My support ticket was finally elevated to higher level support after I had dealt with numerous different support people that kept repeating the same debug steps instead of actually looking at my support history to see what I had been through.  This higher level support basically told me that they have seen a 'warm up period' on the extreme mode of the Vive Pro 2 and they sometimes noticed issues until the headset had warmed up.  AmazingTechVR mentioned he had the same issue in non-extreme modes and wireless mode so that doesn't seem to be the case.

To me, this HMD is was in the higher price range of current VR products without going to the extreme of the Varjo and Pimax 8k, so I expected a less-buggy experience.  But when it is working it is the best HMD I own as far as FOV and picture quality so I will be sticking with it until something better comes along.

9 hours ago, ThreeDeeVision said:

I am the other guy on Reddit as mentioned in AmazingTechVR's post.  I have literally done everything to try and debug this issue.  Reinstalled windows, different cables, sent in the Vive Pro 2 and received another unit back and the issue persisted.  I also own the Vive, Vive Pro, Oculus Rift, and the Valve Index and none of the other HMDs had this black screen issue.  Like AmazingTechVR mentioned, it happens after every cold boot and the black screen lasts for about a second most times, but unfortunately for me quite often the game doesn't come back and I have to close the game, SteamVR, and Vive Console and restart them to get the game to come back.  After that initial black screen I have no more issues until the link box has sat powered off for over 10 minutes or so.

My support ticket was finally elevated to higher level support after I had dealt with numerous different support people that kept repeating the same debug steps instead of actually looking at my support history to see what I had been through.  This higher level support basically told me that they have seen a 'warm up period' on the extreme mode of the Vive Pro 2 and they sometimes noticed issues until the headset had warmed up.  AmazingTechVR mentioned he had the same issue in non-extreme modes and wireless mode so that doesn't seem to be the case.

To me, this HMD is was in the higher price range of current VR products without going to the extreme of the Varjo and Pimax 8k, so I expected a less-buggy experience.  But when it is working it is the best HMD I own as far as FOV and picture quality so I will be sticking with it until something better comes along.

There is a 3rd guy posting on reddit with the exact same issue he is getting for over 7 months on his Vive Cosmos. Black screen 10 minutes into the VR session, just like us. We're not alone, as I stated I wonder how many others get this 1 second black screen, but think it's normal and just never post about it. It only does it after a PC cold boot. I don't know what motherboard he has, waiting for him to reply.

My Vive Pro 2 cameras aren't working in SteamVR since repair anyway, plus with black screens, HTC have offered a replacement. This will be 3rd time I'm sending the Vive Pro 2 back. 1st repair completely broken display not switching on. 2nd repair was much better with most issues fixed as per OP. 3rd is to get it replaced. When it works, it's great.

The other reddit poster has confirmed, it's another z390 motherboard.

@C.T.can you find out how many reports of "black screens" you've had for Vive Console software users... see how many of those are z390 motherboards. I think there is an issue with the Vive Console software and z390 motherboards, as this isn't just the Vive Pro 2 now, it's Vive Cosmos Elite and anything that uses Vive Console...it's actually the software compatability with z390 motherboards.

When you turn the PC on from a cold boot, go into VR and 10 minutes into the session the screen goes black for 1 second. Sometimes it can black screen and never recover, which means restarting the whole thing again.

If you keep the PC turned on, leave SteamVR and go back into VR, no black screen.

If you cold boot the PC (leave it off about 5 minutes) then turn it back on, go into VR and you will get a black screen.

Edited by AmazingTechVR

Picked up my Vive Pro 2 last week, getting the same issues with black screens occuring on my headset. Also have a Z390 motherboard, using the Z390-A Pro

Did you ever have any luck working out what was occuring with yours? I get them pretty persistently, not just at the 10 minute mark

3 hours ago, Heilos said:

Picked up my Vive Pro 2 last week, getting the same issues with black screens occuring on my headset. Also have a Z390 motherboard, using the Z390-A Pro

Did you ever have any luck working out what was occuring with yours? I get them pretty persistently, not just at the 10 minute mark

I've had the Vive Pro 2 for almost 5 months since release day. The black screen was in every VR session, typically at the 10 minutes mark. I sent the Vive Pro 2 back 3 times, finally they agreed to a replacement. I received it yesterday and have been in VR twice so far. No black screen. I was in VR 30 minutes yesterday, then 1 hour 50 minutes later in the evening. So it was a faulty headset all of this time for 5 months of troubleshooting. I'm in VR again as I type this and I've gone beyond the 10 minutes again.

You will see this entire thread is about doing everything possible to try and figure it out. 5 damn months and over 1 month without it whilst it was travelling to and from UK to Romania 3 times.

I wonder if it was the Proximity sensor #6 on this image that was to blame. Are you using an aftermarket facepad or the original with the Vive Pro 2? I've been using the Kiwi replacement PU leather facepad with a cotton cover on it. I wonder if that blocked the sensor at all. Again, at this point I'm literally guessing because I tried so much over 5 months to try and figure this out along with HTC support asking me to submit about 10 reports.

@C.T. this Proximity Sensor, does it use IR to detect heat or distance away from the face?

guid-468f89b2-49e5-42f2-b35c-70475b54860

5 hours ago, AmazingTechVR said:

I've had the Vive Pro 2 for almost 5 months since release day. The black screen was in every VR session, typically at the 10 minutes mark. I sent the Vive Pro 2 back 3 times, finally they agreed to a replacement. I received it yesterday and have been in VR twice so far. No black screen. I was in VR 30 minutes yesterday, then 1 hour 50 minutes later in the evening. So it was a faulty headset all of this time for 5 months of troubleshooting. I'm in VR again as I type this and I've gone beyond the 10 minutes again.

You will see this entire thread is about doing everything possible to try and figure it out. 5 damn months and over 1 month without it whilst it was travelling to and from UK to Romania 3 times.

I wonder if it was the Proximity sensor #6 on this image that was to blame. Are you using an aftermarket facepad or the original with the Vive Pro 2? I've been using the Kiwi replacement PU leather facepad with a cotton cover on it. I wonder if that blocked the sensor at all. Again, at this point I'm literally guessing because I tried so much over 5 months to try and figure this out along with HTC support asking me to submit about 10 reports.

@C.T. this Proximity Sensor, does it use IR to detect heat or distance away from the face?

guid-468f89b2-49e5-42f2-b35c-70475b54860

I'm actually not surprised you had a faulty headset, also not surprised by the repair team as they never repaired anything successfully as I was scrolling the forum and for my case, the fact that they are capable of ruining your headset from a repair is already impressive... You for the fact that it didn't work at all after the 1st one and mine having dead tracking after repair, it's the worst that I've ever seen and I've dealt with a lot of RMA's in my lifetime... A real lack of seriousness and honesty imo.

Happy you got a workaround with a replacement, as I'm willing to say, they should have done this from the first time if they are not capable of fixing their own products. CTDI is not a company that cares, they just replace everything out of the blue when their superior tells them to.

It has been 6 months for me still and I'm soon gonna get a replacement with my retailer thankfully.

Edited by GAMEDRIX