Vive Pro 2 Issues with the screens

Hello Admins I just got 5 Vive Pro 2's yesterday and tested them all before use in my arcade company.

It was an amazing experience, the colors are very good and the resolution as well but I noticed something similar to other headsets we had in the past.

It seems to be the exact same artifact as the index back in the days but we eventually received some sort of calibration method and the problem was gone.

All 5 of them have it, some more than others.

Here are some pictures

azPqcsU.jpg

Q329F0j.jpg

sfonq7j.jpg

image.thumb.png.0a837fb50066fd0583b58a6ef83bdb2e.png

Edited by FredAmaze.net
  • Like 2

Perfect description.  I returned my first VP2 thinking this had to be a defect in my unit, but the lines are there on my second one too.  I'm quite certain HTC engineering is well aware of this considering how widely its been reported, but that the company has just decided that its normal.  Kind of a shame since I find it quite distracting and results in a definite perceived loss of resolution. Not sure which is worse, true SDE or these lines coming and going as you play.

Very interesting to read your post. Was about to purchase VP2, but am finding too many users talking of issues with display, sound.

Owned three Index headsets, each had different display quality, the launch headset perfect, second headset unusuable (before software correction), third was bad but about manageable with software, but still spoiled simulation games.

Edited by thewhitebeyond

It's a quality control issue. A lot of people posting about this. I had the vertical lines, I also had horizontal lines - mostly due to motion and noticeable when looking around. I even had green/red vertical lines due to the link box. The display for me even flipped horizontally once when it crashed. The display had ghost images/stuck images too - even from a fresh start after not using it a few days/on wireless, not even having the link box plugged in. Black screen in every VR session (wired & wireless). Basically the displays look amazing with high resolution, but there is a lot of interference which creates all of this crazy display issues.

15 hours ago, thewhitebeyond said:

Very interesting to read your post. Was about to purchase VP2, but am finding too many users talking of issues with display, sound.

Owned three Index headsets, each had different display quality, the launch headset perfect, second headset unusuable (before software correction), third was bad but about manageable with software, but still spoiled simulation games.

I'm one of the complainers about this vertical line issue (but no issues with sound).  However, let me just be clear that you shouldn't avoid trying this headset, just because of this.  I really like the headset overall, and regard that problem as just an unfortunate nit that I'd love to have addressed since, as good as it is, it could be better.  And even though I don't see this headset as the most ideal all-around unit (I still keep my Index for Beat Saber and other casual titles), the games the VP2 excels in can still be quite spectacular and make the headset very much worth having.  I just purchased Myst VR and this HMD makes it looks so much more impressive than my Index (and interestingly, in that title I don't seem to notice the vertical lines hardly at all, nor glare).  Sims are also improved pretty dramatically.  Yes, we do often complain here in this forum (since this is the natural place to bring attention to various issues), but I still regard the VP2's positives to heavily outweigh the negatives.

Edited by Gildahl

18 hours ago, Gildahl said:

I'm one of the complainers about this vertical line issue (but no issues with sound).  However, let me just be clear that you shouldn't avoid trying this headset, just because of this.  I really like the headset overall, and regard that problem as just an unfortunate nit that I'd love to have addressed since, as good as it is, it could be better.  And even though I don't see this headset as the most ideal all-around unit (I still keep my Index for Beat Saber and other casual titles), the games the VP2 excels in can still be quite spectacular and make the headset very much worth having.  I just purchased Myst VR and this HMD makes it looks so much more impressive than my Index (and interestingly, in that title I don't seem to notice the vertical lines hardly at all, nor glare).  Sims are also improved pretty dramatically.  Yes, we do often complain here in this forum (since this is the natural place to bring attention to various issues), but I still regard the VP2's positives to heavily outweigh the negatives.

Very true. I have been more than thrilled with my VP2 I got in June. After reading some of these reports I was quite nervous and just waiting for my headset to go south on me. However it never did - at least so far. And I use the thing - mostly in combat flight sims - almost every day for a few hours a day. Mine is performing like a champ for me and I am quite happy with it. I will note though I prefer using earbuds through my Creative sound jack, so I can't really comment on the VP2 audio.

The mic I do use through Voice Attack and Vaicom Pro for DCS, do not seem to have any issue with it so far. I don't do multiplayer so I am not in a position for others to comment on how I sound.

My heaviest usage is with DCS - followed by IL-2 Great Battles, and have done a couple playthroughs of Half Life Alyx with it along with a play through of Medal of Honor Above and Beyond. So far I have been quite pleased. I run mine at 120 Hz and resolution around 3kx3k per eye for the flight sims, little higher for the other made for VR games. I do not use Vive's Motion Compensation - I find it horrid really - I get much better results with it off. Long as I can maintain 60 fps in flight sims I get very good experience.

But yeah I have quite a number  of hours of use out of my Vive Pro 2 now and am well satisfied so far.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...