Base Station Support for the Cosmos

@Flashfire2205, the Cosmos (and it's default controllers) do not have native basestation (SteamVR tracking) support - it does not have the sensors required to detect signals from base-stations and it is natively an optically tracked device . We've announced an "external tracking mod" add-on faceplate for Q1 2020 that will enable the headset to be natively tracked via SteamVR tracking.

This may be an obvious question, but every comment I've seen on this only suggests the headset will be tracked via SteamVR tracking/basestations. This will allow the use of basestation based controllers (og vive wands, knuckles etc), correct?

Edited by Tarsuel

@Tarsuel,

• SteamVR is two components: the SDK/Runtime which is the software that drives communication between the game engine and the headset and SteamVR Tracking which is a hardware based tracking solution currently consisting of basestations and the sensors to detect their signals.
  • The Cosmos is a SteamVR headset meaning it's natively compatible with SteamVR titles which are driven by the OpenVR/SteamVR SDK/Plugin.
  • The Cosmos does not natively support SteamVR Tracking - neither the headset nor the controllers have the sensors required to detect signals from a base-station. We'll launch an external tracking mod in Q1 2020 to facilitate the headset being tracked by base-stations. The Cosmos is optically tracked - it's using the 6 cameras on the device to track the controllers as well as the HMD's position in 6DoF. You cannot hybridize a SteamVR Tracked device with the headset natively although there are ways to roughly accomplish this using existing SteamVR community-built tools but this falls outside of our current scope of support.

4 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

@Tarsuel,

• SteamVR is two components: the SDK/Runtime which is the software that drives communication between the game engine and the headset and SteamVR Tracking which is a hardware based tracking solution currently consisting of basestations and the sensors to detect their signals.
  • The Cosmos is a SteamVR headset meaning it's natively compatible with SteamVR titles which are driven by the OpenVR/SteamVR SDK/Plugin.
  • The Cosmos does not natively support SteamVR Tracking - neither the headset nor the controllers have the sensors required to detect signals from a base-station. We'll launch an external tracking mod in Q1 2020 to facilitate the headset being tracked by base-stations. The Cosmos is optically tracked - it's using the 6 cameras on the device to track the controllers as well as the HMD's position in 6DoF. You cannot hybridize a SteamVR Tracked device with the headset natively although there are ways to roughly accomplish this using existing SteamVR community-built tools but this falls outside of our current scope of support.

Maybe your current scope of support should be to at least provide SteamVR compatiblity asap.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The optical tracking (cameras on the faceplate) is terrible, likewise because this is how it tracks the comtrollers...their tracking is terrible too. Nothing at all like the incredible accuracy I enjoy with original vive (that uses the lighthouses) The only way to get the Cosmos on par with the original Vive is to buy lighthouses (seperately), buy controllers (seperately) and buy the faceplate (seperately)...suddenly an "out of the box" product only becomes usable after spending...who knows how much more on add-ons...

• 1 month later...

that must be incredible tracking you enjoy with your original Vive!

I mean when I boot up a game and aim my shot theres no latency and it hits the target (provided Ive aimed well enough).My controller is tracked perfectly (provided I don't place it behind my head which one almost never does) and my  movements are in sync with what I see on the screen(s).

I don't know how the experience could be better save for the "behind the head" scenario I mentioned already being improved somehow.I assume lighthouse would provide for that.

Edited by JonathanPeyton