Cosmos Same Lenses as OG Vive ?

Dicehunter

Got my Vive Cosmos a day early and also watched a few video reviews and so far it's not looking good for the Cosmos especially in the lens and tracking department, I'm curious though, Why on earth did you decide to use the same god awful sub par lenses that you used on the Vive and Vive Pro that show huge amounts of god rays ? If The Rift S can use improved lenses to basically eliminate god rays AND cost $300 less why didn't you ?

16 minutes ago, Morbeious said:

My lens are much clearer than my 1st Gen and Vive Pro, Vive Pro Eye.  not sure why you see rings 

Well guess I'm taking mine back to the retailer tomorrow then, I hope the replacement isn't faulty.

Edited by Dicehunter

6 hours ago, Dicehunter said:

Well guess I'm taking mine back to the retailer tomorrow then, I hope the replacement isn't faulty.

When HTC announced Cosmos specs they said that it has 40%i mproved lens clarity than the original Vive. so you would think it should be better.

All VR headsets use fresnel lens so depending on the background colours/brightness you will always see some screen door and god rays, esp. outside the sweet spot.  Like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one.  Once you are immersed in a game most do not notice this much, if at all.  Also, properly adjusting the IPD can help reduce these effects quite a bit.  Also, takes some time to properly adjust the headset tension and position.  It's always taken me at least a week to get used to new VR headsets.  Once you do they feel like an old pair of slippers.

Unless there is some obvious damage to your lens it's unlikely to be faulty imho.  Maybe you need to find a local Microsoft store that has demo headsets so you can see what is normal so you can properly compare them to your Cosmos.  Watching a bunch of YouTube vids is really not going to tell you much.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

18 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

When HTC announced Cosmos specs they said that it has 40%i mproved lens clarity than the original Vive. so you would think it should be better.

All VR headsets use fresnel lens so depending on the background colours/brightness you will always see some screen door and god rays, esp. outside the sweet spot.  Like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one.  Once you are immersed in a game most do not notice this much, if at all.  Also, properly adjusting the IPD can help reduce these effects quite a bit.  Also, takes some time to properly adjust the headset tension and position.  It's always taken me at least a week to get used to new VR headsets.  Once you do they feel like an old pair of slippers.

Unless there is some obvious damage to your lens it's unlikely to be faulty imho.  Maybe you need to find a local Microsoft store that has demo headsets so you can see what is normal so you can properly compare them to your Cosmos.  Watching a bunch of YouTube vids is really not going to tell you much.

I also have the Rift S and its lenses are noticeabley superior, Considering the Cosmos costs nearly double what the Rift S does I was expecting something at least on par not less.

56 minutes ago, Dicehunter said:

I also have the Rift S and its lenses are noticeabley superior, Considering the Cosmos costs nearly double what the Rift S does I was expecting something at least on par not less.

Ya, the Rift S lens are pretty hard to beat, that's for sure.  The Halo headband is also very nice.  Unfortunately the rest of the design has left a lot to be desired and it also had a lot of early teething problems (eg. poor audio, no ipd adjustment, screen flashing, poor tracking, and grip/fire button lag).  Seems like most of these, 6 months later, are mostly fixed.  I actually pre-ordered/bought a Rift S last May and after just over 3 weeks use I sent it back for a refund and went back to my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

I'm looking forward to getting my pre-ordered Cosmos early next week and I hope it will be a slight upgrade to my existing Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Time will tell I guess.  In your case, only you can decide whether or not the Cosmos is a good upgrade to your current Rift S.  Good luck deciding!

Edited by TomCgcmfc

On 10/5/2019 at 2:50 AM, TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, the Rift S lens are pretty hard to beat, that's for sure.  The Halo headband is also very nice.  Unfortunately the rest of the design has left a lot to be desired and it also had a lot of early teething problems (eg. poor audio, no ipd adjustment, screen flashing, poor tracking, and grip/fire button lag).  Seems like most of these, 6 months later, are mostly fixed.  I actually pre-ordered/bought a Rift S last May and after just over 3 weeks use I sent it back for a refund and went back to my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

I'm looking forward to getting my pre-ordered Cosmos early next week and I hope it will be a slight upgrade to my existing Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Time will tell I guess.  In your case, only you can decide whether or not the Cosmos is a good upgrade to your current Rift S.  Good luck deciding!

Problem mainly I've found is that the sweetspot is absolutely tiny with the Vive Cosmos lenses, I'd love to be able to have some human contact with HTC and just ask them why they chose lenses that are kind of terrible, I have decent eyes but these things get blurry quickly if not focusing on the centre of the lens.

Edited by Dicehunter