Is there any SDK manual for eye tracking ?

paco67

Hello @paco67,

The manuals are contained within the downloadable SDK package - it's contained in the download itself because the assets of the entire package fall behind the SDK's developer usage agreements. First, navigate here, review & accept the click-through agreement, and on the next page download the SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1.zip package. Unzip it, and you'll find some high level documentation at the root of the package. Once you select the Unity or Unreal SDK, there will be a documentation folder in each of them with HTML documentation.

Below, you can see the Unity eye tracking's HTML documentation is within SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1\SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1\02_Unity\Document\Eye  and you click the "document_unity" shortcut to launch the interactive SDK documentation. The interactive HTML documentation contains specific info about the classes, data structures, ect...

image.png.4fc22e2726b58c8e5d111461b6eebf5d.png

SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1\SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1\02_Unity\Document\Eye

image.png

Thanks, I was looking for something more as API documentation. I have found it at tobii devices document repository. I am interested in the real limitations for the eye trackers in order to understand the quality of output data. 

Thanks

@paco67 - Tobii's native documentation is not really applicable to this product (Vive Pro Eye) in terms of the SDK/APIs. As this is a collaboration between Tobii and HTC there's a complex series of legal agreements which dictate how their underlying technology can be licensed and used, what data is available to developers, and how the developers access that data (via API's/SDKs).

We're using an encapsulated version of their SDK which overall has different developer functionalities and a different legal framework around it (and it also ties into Nvidia's VRS and associated rendering technologies). I'd recommend specifically referencing our documentation and developer agreement in regards to Vive Pro eye as what you're reading for the Tobii native SDK isn't accurate for this specific Tobii hardware integration and you may get the wrong idea about what's possible if you strictly reference their native SDK documentation and their implementation instructions are for native (standalone) hardware, not integrated hardware.

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 11:11 PM, VibrantNebula said:

We're using an encapsulated version of their SDK which overall has different developer functionalities and a different legal framework around it (and it also ties into Nvidia's VRS and associated rendering technologies). I'd recommend specifically referencing our documentation and developer agreement in regards to Vive Pro eye as what you're reading for the Tobii native SDK isn't accurate for this specific Tobii hardware integration and you may get the wrong idea about what's possible if you strictly reference their native SDK documentation and their implementation instructions are for native (standalone) hardware, not integrated hardware.

This was important information to me, as I am trying to find out the possibilities of accessing raw eye tracking data from the Pro Eye and at a quick glance, it seems to me as if the SRanipal SDK does not offer API access to raw eye tracking data, am I right? Also can you provide link to the documentation and developer agreement to which you refer above? Thanks

Hello @ph,

There are two SDK's you could potentially use with Vive Pro Eye. Let me use this opportunity to more clearly summarize the SDK options for the community:

• SRanipal: This is Vive's Eye Tracking SDK and enables things like foveated rendering, gaze interactions, ect... This is a feature based SDK which licenses and incorporates Tobii's underlying technologies to provide a deployable API framework for interacting with the eye tracking features of the Eye Pro HMD. It is free for developers to integrate with your project and for the end-user to access via the SRAnipal runtime as the licensing is included as part of Vive Pro Eye hardware platform.
    • The developer agreement is found on the SDK's download page. You're required to agree to it to access the SDK download.
    • Here is a direct link to the current version of the developer agreement as of this post's date. Please read the agreement in full as it has important usage stipulations. 
    • From the agreement (v1.1.0.1) " This SDK contains software which collects facial images and processes those images into user facial feature data for VIVE Pro Eye or other HTC VR products. Facial feature data includes eye tracking data (such as gaze position, pupil size and eye openness), but not actual images or representations of the face, eyes or lips. Facial feature data but not actual facial images or representations are available to the SDK developer.
  • You can also use the Vive Pro Eye with Tobii's first party XR SDK. This SDK provides a higher level of data access but the trade-off is that each studio needs to individually license the SDK from Tobii at a cost. Bare in mind, that with this higher level of data access, comes a higher degree of legal responsibility for you as a developer/publisher to safeguard user data, especially when it comes to GDPR compliance as eye tracking data is fundamentally user-identifiable biometric data.

Per the documentation portion of your question, once you download the SRAnipal SDK, there is advanced documentation that is hosted as an interactive HTML document within the package. Here is an example screenshot of where to find the Unity documentation:

image.thumb.png.87f25adacba332bd2c82635f8aa8823d.png

Within that HTML resource, there is info about each class, ect...

image.thumb.png.a27b48cfefe07f3dd87a1386640ec176.png