Tracking problems: Hand Tracking SDK + Vive + Unity

Willow

Hi,

I installed SDK into Unity, and samples ran successfully. The device I used was Vive.

My test environment is an ordinary laboratory, with one side of a completely black wall, and the other side is the rest of the computer equipment, desk, etc., non-enclosed space.

The results were not as expected, and the hands were monitored, but the fingers were shaking a lot, and most of the time the fingers were twisted outward, especially during translation (hands held still, body rotated).

Is that because I'm using Vive? Is there any solution or any advices?

Thank you!

( - tag added by moderator)

Hi  

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, the best experience of hand tracking is available on Vive Pro.  If you are not using v0.8.1, we recommend you to update to this latest version, since it have better accuracy (especially for black wall).

Since you are using Vive (which have only 1 front camera), the depth of the finger points are not quite accurate. This may causes the hand to lean outwards than your actual hand. Here are some suggestions:

1. Using Vive Pro can have much better results.

2. If you need to use Vive, sometimes put down both hands completely for 1-2 seconds and put it up back can ease the situation.

3. When move your hand from outside into the front camera FOV, please make sure your hand is open and all five fingers are clearly visible.

As for moving head while hand stays still, the hand will have some shaking. This problem is a little complicated , it might be caused by multiple reasons:

1. When your head is moving, the motion blur is significant in the front camera image and making it very hard to detect the exact position of your fingers. So the detection results from deep learning might be shaking a bit.

2. Our calculation are first done in front camera frame and then aply the HMD transform. So there might be some mismatch between them due to mothion smoothing of the HMD position.

3. Currently, I don't have a solution for this problem, but we are definitely looking into it to see if we can improve the situation.

Best Regards,

zzy

On 7/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, zzy said:

Hi  

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, the best experience of hand tracking is available on Vive Pro.  If you are not using v0.8.1, we recommend you to update to this latest version, since it have better accuracy (especially for black wall).

Since you are using Vive (which have only 1 front camera), the depth of the finger points are not quite accurate. This may causes the hand to lean outwards than your actual hand. Here are some suggestions:

1. Using Vive Pro can have much better results.

2. If you need to use Vive, sometimes put down both hands completely for 1-2 seconds and put it up back can ease the situation.

3. When move your hand from outside into the front camera FOV, please make sure your hand is open and all five fingers are clearly visible.

As for moving head while hand stays still, the hand will have some shaking. This problem is a little complicated , it might be caused by multiple reasons:

1. When your head is moving, the motion blur is significant in the front camera image and making it very hard to detect the exact position of your fingers. So the detection results from deep learning might be shaking a bit.

2. Our calculation are first done in front camera frame and then aply the HMD transform. So there might be some mismatch between them due to mothion smoothing of the HMD position.

3. Currently, I don't have a solution for this problem, but we are definitely looking into it to see if we can improve the situation.

Best Regards,

zzy

Thank you!