Vive Pro Camera FPS / Resolution?

DaKenpachi

Hi everyone,

I´m currently about to do an AR-Application with the Vive Pro. I´m just at the beginning (today ist the first day my setup runs stable), so I haven´t tried out much yet.

But I tried the SRWorks Demo and noticed the camera resolution is not very good =(
Then I tried to sample down the camera to 30 fps in Steam VR to maybe get better resolution (thats what I know from other cams). But when Steam VR restarts in order to accept the setting, it´s back at 60 fps.

So I have some questions going from here:

- is this a bug in Steam VR? Can someone else try to change to 30 fps please?

- is there the possibility to change resolution within the SRWorks SDK (C Code or Unreal Plugin)?

Thanks in advance!

Little Update:

I found out the resolution is 612x460 per camera. What a good video source for a 1440x1600 display! ;)

I found no way yet to modify that.

I switched to beta version of Steam in order to get the SRWorks C samples running. Since then the camera is stuck at 40 fps instead of 60 (like before) - but its the same issue: I cant change it. When I restart SteamVR in order to accept the change, it´s either still at 40 fps, or the camera is completly gone... =(

Please refer to best practices here: http://community.viveport.com/t5/Vive-SRWorks-SDK/VIVE-Pro-SRWorks-SDK-best-practices-so-far/gpm-p/15727

The resolution shouldn't come as a surprise (same as the original Vive) and why you should consider thinking outside of just "AR" experiences as this isn't a AR hmd. Think of new  use cases to use the "See-through Reality" option you have here. Remember that you don't have to enable the cameras to use them for pre-scanned room objects or real-time depth detection (which doesn't require high res cameras).

The frame rate adjustment issues is known and we're working with Valve to address this,  but it will not affect the given camera resolution anyway.

Well thanks for your answer. Finally I know what I can or can´t do. I was always wondering about the cameras specs, since I couldn´t find them online and the HTC support did not answer my question about it.

I will consider using an external camera now, because my task is an AR Applications, so I need a bit more resolution ;)

Well if you want to extend your audience let us know how we can help address and support your concerns, especially as Viveport will be a good way to promote and sell your VivePro front facing camera experiences.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...