bamdart

use url open VR browser with unity in vive focus

From my understanding, there is no sample in Wave SDK related to your attempt.

Maybe you can try to search from Unity website.

Did you manage to get this working?

I use Application.OpenURL(URL.Value); in all my apps and it works on every platform except Vive Focus.

Presumably there is another way to open the browser from a Unity app?

I believe the issue is with the Vive Browser application. After downloading FireFox Reality, I was able to open webpages this way.

That could mean the Vive Browser doesn't register as a browser in the system? That's something that should be rectified quite easily by changing the AndroidManifest with intents by HTC.

(  tag added by moderator) 

After looking into this issue I have some good news to share with developers. In January HTC Vive announced a partnership deal with Mozilla for Firefox Reality to be the default internet browser:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2019/01/08/mozilla-announces-deal-to-bring-firefox-reality-to-htc-vive-devices/
https://blog.vive.com/us/2019/01/07/htc-vive-teams-mozilla-aws/

This partnership means that with the next system update (no confirmed schedule yet) Firefox Reality browser will be integrated as the default browser for Vive Focus and Focus Plus!
Firefox Reality is a great VR browser and developers who have it installed may have noticed it will work with WebVR, android intents, and Unity functions such as Application.OpenURL("http://www.google.co.uk");

Stay tuned to the community forums for more information and updates.

(       )

I needed a solution to authenticate users to dropbox before this update and used WebViews. My WebViews no longer work. Is this because of the update?

Will using Application.OpenURL(URL); cause my application to close? I need a solution which allows my users to easily open the web app, copy their authorization code, and return to my app.

1 hour ago, EnduvoJD said:

I needed a solution to authenticate users to dropbox before this update and used WebViews. My WebViews no longer work. Is this because of the update?

Will using Application.OpenURL(URL); cause my application to close? I need a solution which allows my users to easily open the web app, copy their authorization code, and return to my app.

EDIT: After further investigation, it seems that it may be something specific about the dropbox webpage, because google does load on the webview.

I would still like to know about my question above though regarding the Firefox update.

@Corvus @Tony PH Lin

@EnduvoJD The update should not effect WebViews. Using Application.OpenURL() won't always close your app, Android will background your app but in my testing it does usually get closed to free up memory.