Vive Tracker Airsoft Gun Recoil (floating issues)

PramodPatel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We too are having the exact same issue being described here. It's very frustrating that our old (now retired) Vive Trackers seemed to be doing a much better job than the newer 2018 Trackers. We need to have this filtering in the firmware for 2018 Trackers, otherwise our solution is going to fail in a big way. We've tried mechanical solutions to reduce the impacts of this, by changing how we mount the trackers, but it's not an ideal solution. I can't believe this crucial feature in the original Tracker firmware is absent in the 2018 devices.

Can we get an official word from HTC on when this will be resolved, as it's now an urgent problem for us.

We're mounting to replica guns that have a fairly strong recoil when fired. We originally had them fixed directly to the weapons, but since moving over to 2018 Trackers, this is no longer a viable option. We've tried using foam bushes to reduce the shock, which has helped, but it's still not very good. We're looking at more mounting options, but ideally, we want the trackers mounted as cleanly as possible to the weapons, so we don't really want any large or bulky solutions. Using the foam bushes may be ok, if the 2018 Trackers performed as well as the older ones, hence hoping that HTC sort this problem out.

• 1 month later...

We are currently running into the same issue here. Any word from HTC on an update for the 2018 tracker?

If you hooked the Vive Tracker directly into the gearbox how come it doesn't cook itself as the LiPo Battery of the Airsoft is like 11V?

• 2 months later...

We abondoned using our trackers for live fire.   This problem is only that much worse when used with a blowback system.  Instead we created a 3D printed mount for the controller.  Not as pretty but works much better. 

As for hooking up the gun, we chose to 3D print a fake scope and used it to hide a Audrino MKR1000 that tracked the trigger press and sent it via WIFI.  But we also had to have a solution that works both with controllers/trackers and mocap so it worked best for us.  PM me if you want details on the circuit/etc.

• 2 months later...

Would love to hear some news on this. This has plagued us for years, we do not use USB for the input, and we use the new 2018 trackers because of the tracking space required. I cannot do anything to change the IMU. Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I have bought roughly 50+ tracking pucks and bought well over 20+ HMDs all from HTC. If I cannot find a solution then I may have to abandon the pucks, rather than buying 200 or so more since we are planning to ramp up our devices.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Any news on this issue?  We are having terrible time too mounting pucks on game weapons with recoil.
Which is the best firmware to use?  Also user PramodPatel used one of the IO pins to let the puck know when the trigger is pulled.  Did that actually work, that would be the cleanest to inform the puck not to trust the IMU data for a specific amount of time.

Thanks!